Torres has renewed hope at Chelsea
Updated Thursday, 24th May 2012
Fernando Torres is ready to fulfil his dreams with Chelsea after admitting he "lost hope" earlier in his time at Stamford Bridge.
The departure of Didier Drogba gives the ?50million British record transfer the ideal opportunity to secure his position as first-choice striker after a difficult 16 months since leaving Liverpool. Torres has still to rediscover the form he showed at Anfield, but he remains confident his best is to come and dismissed claims he was unsettled.
"At Chelsea I am very happy and I never said the opposite," he said. "I still have a lot to do in this club. It has been a difficult year, I didn't play much and my mind was like a roller-coaster."
He added: "I believe that I deserved to play more. I felt very bad and I would not like to feel that way again but I have never surrendered and I never will."
The Spain international went 24 matches without scoring this season before finally ending his five-month goal drought with two goals in Chelsea's FA Cup quarter-final win over Leicester.
For a player who has excelled at hitting the net at both Liverpool and before then at Atletico Madrid, it became almost a psychological problem.
"It was a mental block, I felt really bad," he told his website. "I felt very well on the field this season because I have become a more complete player but the ball did not fall for me and I felt I was never in the correct position.
"I watched many videos to study the movements of other strikers, including mine from my spells at Atletico and Liverpool.
"It helped me a lot because I lost the fear of being in the area. I want to thank Steve Holland (assistant coach) for the work he did to help me.
"There were times where I lost hope and that has never happened to me before."