Chelsea manager Frank Lamapard has claimed the club are not looking to sign Lille midfielder Boubakary Soumare in January.
The Blues are among a number of teams to have been linked with a move for the 20-year-old this month, with Manchester United, Real Madrid, Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur also thought to be interested in his services.
His coach Christophe Galtier has added to speculation Soumare could leave Stade Pierre-Mauroy this month. Asked if Sunday's meeting with Paris Saint-Germain would be the youngster's last appearance for Les Dogues, the boss said (as quoted by Goal): "I don’t know.
"About Bouba Soumare, I don’t know. No one’s told me anything about his situation. Maybe it won't [be his final game]. I don’t know. He wants to play and fight with the other players to win on Sunday. That’s certain."
Despite Galtier's suggestion that the France Under-21 international is nearing the exit door, Lampard has denied Chelsea are looking to bring him in during the last week of the January transfer window.
The Englishman stated (as quoted by Metro): "We played against [Lille this year], and I know he’s a good player, but that’s one that’s not on the immediate radar, albeit he’s a good player. But, he’s another club’s player.
Lampard did, however, confirm that the Londoners are keen to add to their squad before the turn of the month, explaining: "I think the impetus to bring in a striker or players potentially that can get on the end of these chances that we’re creating is there.
"I think we have to be really honest about that. And I think the recent games have shown that if we are struggling to create, that’s one problem."
On the matter of Olivier Giroud - whose proposed switch to Inter fell apart in midweek - Lampard said: "He’s still in the same position, where there’s been in contact with other clubs. If and when that’s agreed, I’ll let you know. But, it’s not yet, so he’s still our player on those terms."
For more from Ed Alexander, follow him on Twitter
Source : 90min